This small cemetery, laid out about 1854, now is right on the road, the south side of Lake Shore Boulevard, in front of the North Mentor Centenary United Methodist Church although it is not church related. Corduroy Road is opposite the cemetery. This burying ground is quite small, a front lawn size, and has four prominent marble stones. It is said by many older citizens that there used to be more, but no one seems to know where they might have gone.
Thomas and Catherine (Megley) Lapham are buried at this family burying ground, which was also open to neighbors with permission. They are also mentioned on the family monument at the Mentor Municipal Cemetery. This was the couple that gave the property for the church to be built. They leased the land to the church for 999 years for $1.00. There is a Guthrie Lapham buried in this cemetery as well, according to a now deceased descendant. Thomas was the owner as early as 1840.
According to Laphams in America by Bertha Bortle Beal Aldridge, David Lapham, a twin born in 1764, and his wife Sarah Duncan came to Lake County, Ohio. Thomas is their eldest son.
|Guthrie, David P.||1||1||1||David P. Guthrie/ Died/ Aug. 27, 1859/ Aged 21 Years. &6 mos./ D.D. Stram||Rose under name|
|Roff, Melissa J.||1||2||1||Melissa J./ wife of/ J.A. Roff/ Died/ Nov. 21, 1860,/ Aged 20 Year's/ 7 mo's 22 da's|
|Lapham, Thomas||1||3||1||Our Father/ Thomas Lapham/ Died/ April 15, 1869,/ Aged 82 Years 2 mo's/ and 9 Days|
|Lapham, Catharine||1||3||2||Our mother/ Catharine Lapham/ Died/ March 3, 1866/ Aged 78 Years/ 5 mo. 19 da's|