A very early burial ground in Painesville was the east bank of the Grand River on the farm of Samuel Huntington. His property was located on Fairport Nursery Road and included the current Painesville Township Park, stretched from Shorelands Road on the west to Hardy Road on the east, and from south of Mud Mill Creek to Lake Erie on the north. The burial ground was located in the lower part of this property, south of Fairport Nursery Road. On the 1874 map which shows his son’s home, there is a road (which no longer exists) which stretched from the current Mantle Road extension north, ending at Fairport Nursery Road between Hardy and Shorelands Roads. It ran along the east bank of the Grand River. Son J.C. Huntington’s property included this latter intersection in its 185 ½ acres.
In a collection of Mrs. Howard Anthony is found the following hand written description:
The original Huntington House was built on the South side of the Lake Rd., some distance east of Fairport or Grandon as it then was called. The second home which stood much further east on a bluff overlooking Grand River, almost directly north from the bridges at Erie St., together with the family burial park which stood at the edge of the river bank has also disappeared.
Huntington School is named after Samuel Huntington. A very early resident of Painesville and Cleveland, Huntington was, in October 1802, elected delegate to the first Ohio Constitutional Convention to draw up the constitution for Ohio’s statehood which would occur in 1803. He later became the second elected governor of the state of Ohio and served from 1808-1810.
The Painesville Telegraph of February 23, 1865 on page 3 mentions the following:
The remains of Gov. Huntington, who died in 1817, and those of his wife, who died in 1818, and were buried on the homestead, now occupied by his son, J. C. Huntington, Esq., are to be removed to Evergreen Cemetery the ensuing spring.
Apparently this did not happen, because the remains of Ohio’s ex-Governor were disinterred on May 16th, 1870, and deposited in Evergreen Cemetery and an appropriate monument erected.