St. James Episcopal Church on the north west corner of North St. Clair and Phelps Streets in the city of Painesville has long been a religious and architectural cornerstone of the town. With its tall steeple, it is seen for miles around.
In the 1900s it was decided to have a columbarium for the ashes of church members. There are four banks of niches, each four across and six down, with 24 niches each. They are on the back wall of the sanctuary. More will be added as the need arises.
These plaques were read from the left or northern most bank (# 1) to the right (# 4), and each row left to right from top to bottom. The reading was done in November, 1998.
|Urban, Marilyn||1||21||Marilyn Urban/ 1922-1998|
|Rich, Matthew A.||3||3||Matthew A. Rich/ 1968-1995|
|Downing, William C., M.D.||3||8||William C. Downing, M.D./ 1920-1997|
|Bernal, Karl B.||3||10||Karl B. Bernal/ 1920-1997|
|Webster, Kathryn||3||13||Kathryn Webster/ 1912-1996|
|Waite, Floyd E.||3||18||Floyd E. Waite/ 1917-1998|
|Hamilton, Mary||3||19||Mary Hamilton/ 1902-1994|
|Herkner, Jocelyn Elizabeth||3||20||Jocelyn Elizabeth Herkner/ Oct. 31, 1990|
|Laity, Weldon||3||21||Weldon Laity/ 1903-1993|
|Smith, David J.||4||3||David J. Smith/ 1929-1998|
|Ott, Arthur D.||4||4||Arthur D. Ott/ 1910-1993|
|Lombard, Eleanor S.||4||12||Eleanor S. Lombard/ 1912-1997|
|Tear, Walter R.||4||15||Walter R. Tear/ 1915-1990|
|Shearer, Geraldine A.||4||17||Geraldine A. Shearer/ 1931-1985/ Dedicated to the Glory of God/ and/ In Loving Memory of/ Geraldine Ann Shearer||Cross & candle|
|Skoog, David H.||4||20||David H. Skoog/ 1935-1998|