It is believed that there was a burial site on the eastern bank of the Grand River where the ore dock was located. The slip for unloading the ore boats is now a sailboat marina. This may have been the burial place for either Indians or sailors. In 1934 L. W. Hungerford of High Street recalled his grandfather telling of a plague that swept the lake prior to 1800. Sailors who died on board ship were taken to ports to be buried.